Thursday 1 November 2012

Decorating for Halloween

I love Halloween, there's something timeless and magical about it.  Perhaps it's because it's an ancient pre-Christian Celtic festival, and despite my English birth and upbringing I like to think I am spiritually celtic, with Scottish and Irish Grandparents I think I can justify the claim.

I enjoy having a small child who enters into the spirit of the day.  Yesterday she got up and dressed as a witch all day, a good, kind and beautiful witch of course.

We had a lovely lunch to which she had invited the other little girls in her class from school,  they all came dressed up too.

After lunch we went to Ham House to see the Halloween festivities there, and as well as doing a Halloween trail in the garden we spent a while in the kitchens.  While my daughter and her friend spent time 'cooking'  I was able to photograph the magnificent Pumpkins.

An orangey Halloween arrangement

As the girls were mainly in the dining room
I concentrated the decorations there

Lots of pumpkins and spiders

I do love the cobwebs, such great fun

And very effective

More Halloween/Autumnal decoration

Scary!  This was at Ham House

Amazing Pumpkins, all grown in the gardens of Ham House

Beautiful shapes, colours and textures

Fantastic


I'm not sure, but do you know if these are Medlars?
I really want to find some and make some preserves
but I think they are only grown in gardens, and are not
a cash crop?
Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. You do take lovely photos, some I would love to paint, how great to be near somewhere like Ham House! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely decorations, those are medlars but I have never cooked with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jill, it is very kind of you. We are lucky, but I envy you the sea and the sky :-)
    I thought they were Medlars, I've never used them before and would love to, but I've been on line & even buying a tree seems tricky! Maybe one day:-)

    ReplyDelete