Thursday 11 August 2011

I See Seaglass on the Sea Shore

The first holiday we had in our beautiful Breton house, was one of those wonderful, bright Easter holidays, when the sun shone every day! (because it was April not August!)

My husband came back from an early morning walk on the beach with a nugget of sea glass, and I suddenly had a new interest and holiday hobby!

I found myself looking for seaglass on each beach walk I took, and very quickly discovered the best "spots", which often had huge quantities of old glass.

Over the last 6 or 7 years I have collected a great deal of this fascinating glass.  (Some of it I hope to use in jewellery, but that's on hold until my little girl is older.)  Most  of it I  have in glass jars and bowls around the house, there is something so seasidey about it , I really love it's texture, the light it creates and the fact that every single piece of glass has an unknown history behind it.

Seaglass with shells and shards of pottery

In a lovely clam shell

In an old cookie jar

In a blue china boat

an old parfait jar

a wine glass full of glass

A square vase and a tea light with sea glass
(I do love French yoghurt pots- so much more useful then plastic!)

Sea glass is getting rarer as we recyle more.  This is, of course, a good thing, but it makes these lovely fragments all the more precious to me.


7 comments:

  1. I share your love of seaglass. I revisited a beach this summer on the strength of my memory of great beachcombing there and I didn't find a single piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a chance to actually find any seaglass. Love these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Lucille how disappointing. I believe that deposits of sea glass will shift with tides etc. I hope you find some on your next beach visit!
    Bekahjane, look down next time your at the beach, there can often be a piece just there among the shells and pebbles.
    Thank you both for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The seaglass is beautiful, and the way in which you've displayed it. I've never seen any around here, but, heartened by your finds, I'll be keeping an eagle eye out from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mise, I warn you it is addictive! You need to look on beaches near towns and villages were people have thrown their (glass) rubbish in the sea. Places can change from year to year, and the glass you want is no longer sharp or transparent. I find once I've started looking I find loads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love searching for sea glass! I used to spend hours doing this when I was a kid, on Lake Ontario in New York. How exciting when I'd find a dark blue piece! Or red! You've brought back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, thank you. From here in Brittany, Lake Ontario and New York sound so exotic...and red and blue sea glass how wonderful.
    My little girl who is five just loves finding sea glass, I think she prefers it to sea shells!

    ReplyDelete